about

Thursday, March 31

Review: Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins


Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. 

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. 

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. 

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she? {goodreads}
 ♦ Reviewed by: Rachel ♦

(Contains Spoilers From Book 1, Hex Hall)
Once again, Rachel Hawkins has succeeded in writing an amazing novel with this second installment in the Hex Hall series. I love how she manages to include so much humor and wit in the story while still keeping it dramatic and suspenseful. I honestly can’t count how many times I laughed out loud while reading Demonglass. It seemed every page had me cracking up.

The story in Demonglass is interesting and intriguing, and the plot is perfectly paced. The book picks up about six months after the end of Hex Hall. At the beginning of the book, we finally get to meet Sophie’s dad. In fact, this is the first time even Sophie has seen him in person. Upon showing up, he has many questions about the events that occurred back in the fall, regarding Alice, Elodie, and Archer. Sophie has been waiting months for him to come get her and take her to London where she can go through the Removal; a process that strips away a supernatural’s powers and even has the potential to kill them.

Ever since learning she was a demon, Sophie has been scared and worried about losing control of herself and her powers, fearing she could become like Alice. Sophie’s father makes her a deal, hoping to get her to change her mind about losing her magic: if she spends the summer with him, he’ll allow her to go through the Removal if she still wants to at the end of that time. Sophie agrees, and soon leaves Hecate accompanied by her vampire best friend Jenna, and Cal, the healer for Hex Hall, who we get to learn a lot more about in this book. Sophie is wary about the trip to England, but she can’t help but feel anticipation due to the fact that Archer Cross was last seen in London. However, Sophie still feels hurt and betrayed over Archer’s deception after discovering he worked for the Eye.

As the story continues, Sophie works on controlling her powers, finds out that Archer has been sent to find her, and oh yeah, she discovers a mysterious and dangerous conspiracy that threatens the entire supernatural world. The book has tons of romance, humor, drama, and action, and the story will capture your attention completely and pull you into the amazing world Hawkins has created. I liked the relationship that developed between Sophie and her father, and I loved getting to learn more about the lives of the paranormals in Sophie’s universe. Full of twists and surprises, Demonglass is sure to leave readers eager for the final book in the Hex Hall series. It’s for sure one of the best YA books I’ve read this year.

Some of my favorite funny quotes (There are way too many to post, so I had to choose a few):
“‘What are those people doing?’ Jenna whispered to me.
“I don’t know,” I replied through a frozen grin, “but I’m afraid a musical number might be involved.”’

“‘We’ll have our usual.”
I wondered what that might be. Evil juice? Some kind of demonic energy drink?’”

“‘I don’t drink”
He laughed. “Oh my God, a straight-edge demon! I freaking love it!”
“Yeah, I figure occasionally ripping people’s internal organs out is vice enough for me.”’ 

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

Liked Rachel's review?? Check her out on Goodreads here

Book Information
Title: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion
Published: 03/01/2011
Page Count: 359
Available at:  Borders  Barnes & Noble  Amazon

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

5 comments:

  1. You've won a million dollars in the blog lottery, please contact the president of blog offices to claim your prize ;)





    April fools, Reading Between the Wines sent me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has violated Google's Term of Services. Your blog will be deleted in the next 48 hours.


    LOL April Fools! From Reading Between the Wines. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin!

    I kno0w you are working alot lately and guess what i got a new job too so I'm barely online except to check my e-mails in the evening so i feel your pain.

    So Crystal asked me to drop by and share an April Fool's joke with you.

    Did you hear that it is suppose to snow 5 inches of snow over the weekend!!! I mean come on it's April it is NOT suppose to snow!!!

    OK APRIL FOOL'S!!!

    Yeah I know it is not the best but I a zombie right now after my first week working in training.

    I heard that one yesterday and I REALLY did believe it! LOL yes I am gullible.

    Hope everything is going well and I'll talk to you later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paybacks people, paybacks!!

    :P Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...