about

Monday, October 11

Review: Crave by J.R. Ward

Seven deadly sins. Seven souls that must be saved. One more no-holds- barred battle between a fallen angel with a hardened heart and a demon with everything to lose.

Isaac Rothe is a black ops soldier with a dark past and a grim future. The target of an assassin, he finds himself behind bars, his fate in the hands of his gorgeous public defender Grier Childe. His hot attraction to her can only lead to trouble-and that's before Jim Heron tells him his soul is in danger. Caught up in a wicked game with the demon who shadows Jim, Isaac must decide whether the soldier in him can believe that true love is the ultimate weapon against evil.

Crave is the second installment in J.R. Ward's Fallen Angel Series. In book #1, Covet, we learned that Jim is on a mission to defeat "evil" and in order to do that must save the souls of  four out of seven people.  First and foremost, let me just say that I am a huge Warden fan. To date, I've read each book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series at least fifty times. Well, maybe not fifty, but you know what I mean. Then the first Fallen Angels book came out and I was won over once again. So, with the release of Crave...lets just say I hightailed it to my local B&N, shower be damned. And NO, I did not stand in the parking lot frantically reading the excerpt at the back of the book for LOVER UNLEASHED, the next BDB installment!!  Nope,  I was seated in my car before the whole devour like a fat kid in a candy store thing happened. See, I can be civilized!!

Moving right along... In Crave, the checkers are back in order and round two begins. Very quickly, Jim learns that his assignment involves people  from his past, fellow XOps members Isaac Roth (teammate) and Matthais (his boss) . Roth, aka AWOL is on the run, determined to break free from the XOps organization, to regain his life. Meanwhile, Matthais is set on finding Roth and enforcing the whole "stay or die" policy. Jim's knows right away that his job is to save Roth from what looks like a very imminent death.

In walks Team Evil, aka Devina. Devina is back and lets just say she's not too happy about losing the soul to Jim in round one. The aftermath of round one is revealed during one of Devina's therapy sessions. Yes, even the Devil's pawn has use for a good therapist. This time around, Devina is prepared and willing to do whatever it takes to win.

Roth's attempt at being a "free bird" is short-lived, and he ends up in prison after getting busted for illegal cage-fighting. On top of that, Roth is there under his real name, a proverbial sitting duck waiting to be flambeed. Geesh. At least Roth's bad day gets a little better after a meet-and-greet with his his public defender, Grier Childe. Roth thinks Grier is the most beautiful woman in the whole world; her presence is like a drug to him. This closely parallels Grier's reaction to Roth. Grier is immediately taken back by Roth's handsomeness as well as his gentle demeanor. She sees a face behind the mask and truly wants to help him. This is jut a brief synopsis of Crave.There's a lot more, but I don't want to give too much away, without paraphrasing the entire book.

So, Did I like Crave? The answer is Yes. I did like it, although it was very different from what I expected. The plot was intriguing as well as entertaining. The ending was not what I anticipated, but I totally get why it went down that way. Jim, with his bad-a** angel wings was awesome in this book. He stepped up to the plate and proved himself in more ways than one and I can't wait to see what his future holds. Also, we got to see him bond with his A-Team, Adrian and Eddie. There was one part with Adrian that was especially moving.

Now, my only problem with this book is the heroine, Grier Childe. With her social status and background, it just didn't seem realistic to me that she would bail this fugitive out of jail and bring him into her home. Nonetheless, within 24 hours of meeting him. For a lawyer, she is really, really naive. The whole love thing seemed rushed. Also, there were some really hawt love scenes and I mean Hawt! But unfortunately, they fizzled out in the middle of the story. I could have used at least two more love scenes. Ahemm!!

Final Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.



Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

2 comments:

  1. Yeah - Grier bringing the fugitive home is kinda weird...I thought the beginning was hot but the romance died towards the end. I did like the twist at the very end...not like her bdb though...sigh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya, Mandi!! No one (i mean no one)holds a candle to the BDB boys, ahem I mean men! I'm still waitin for Rhage to realize I'm the real Mary of his dreams) he's a man, so I'll give him the benefit of doubt!! [snickers!!] doesn't this sound nice, "Rhage & Kristin"? No?, what about K & Z? I can totlally tame his arse!! Seriously, I'm gonna stop before "Bones realizes I'm fantasying about other vampires!!" hee!!he's!! Thanks for stopin by Mand!

    ;6 Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...